The Dell PowerEdge R740 made several improvements over the previous generation with the ability to support 1.5x more virtual desktops, M.2 boot optimized storage and more PCIe lanes thanks to Intel’s Scalable processors.
Released in 2017, the PE R740 still sells on Dell’s official website with a base price of $3600. This server has more advanced features than the R540, released in the same years, which explains the increased price.
PowerEdge R740 Mounting Equipment
- Fixed Rail: Dell PowerEdge R830, R820, R520, R530, R740XD Rack Rails
- Slide Rail: 2U Cobra 115-A Dry Slide Rail for Dell
- Racks: 19” width, 27”-30” depth
- Universal Rail: Universal Rack Rails
- Shelf: Tool-less Rack Shelf
PowerEdge R740 Mounting specifications
- Length (depth): 28.2” (715.5 mm)
- Width: 17.1” (434 mm)
- Height: 3.4” (86.8 mm)
- Weight: 57.98 – 72.91 lbs
- U height: 2U
- Rack width: 19”
- Mountable depth: 27”-30”
PowerEdge R740 hardware specifications
- RAM: Up to 3TB LRDIMM/RDIMM
- Storage: Up to 16 x 2.5” or 8 x 3.5” (Max 122.88TB / 128TB)
- CPU options: Up to two 2nd generation Intel Xeon Scalable Processors (28 cores per processor)
- Power: up to two AC or DC PSUs
- Remote management: iDRAC9 with Lifecycle Controller
Dell PowerEdge R740dimensions and rack compatibility
The PowerEdge R740 chassis is 2 rack units in height, has a depth of 28 inches and will fit in standard EIA 19 inch racks.
Universal rails that have a height of 2U and support up to 29 inches of depth will be compatible with the PE R740. A benefit of these is the ability to re-use them for different servers or future upgrades. Plus, it’s easy to slide your server in and out of them for maintenance.
Other products that will be useful when mounting your server can be found here: