Anyone who has managed a data center knows that one of the biggest challenges is cable management. Depending on the size of the data center, you can have thousands of feet of cable plugging into an almost uncountable number of ports throughout the facility. Without proper care, the cables can quickly get extremely tangled.
Tangled cords are almost impossible to trace, which makes troubleshooting problems more difficult and time consuming than it needs to be. In addition, as more and more cables get added, the risk of damage to them increases. To avoid this type of problem, most data centers are using patch cable organizers.
What Is a Patch Cable Organizer?
A patch cable organizer is, as the name implies, a device that helps to organize cables. They are typically mounted inside of a server rack, and the cables run through the organizer so they are easy to follow, and look nice and professional.
Benefits of a Patch Cable Organizer
When deciding whether or not to purchase this type of device for your data center racks, you’ll want to weigh out whether the benefits are worth the cost. The following are some of the most significant benefits to be aware of:
- Reduces Cable Clutter – Cluttered cables can make it difficult to reach into the servers, routers, switches, or other devices that need work. It can also make it difficult to install or remove hardware since the cables can get in the way.
- Hides Cable Slack – Keeping any extra cable slack hidden away helps your datacenter look much more professional. It also reduces the risk of a cable accidently getting pulled or damaged when working in the area.
- Professional Look – If you need to give customers or potential employees a tour of the data center, you don’t want it to look like a child ran your cabling. A patch cable organizer gives every rack a clean and professional look.
- Easier Cable Tracing – If you suspect a cable has gone bad, tracing it out will be much easier when you have every cable carefully ran through the organizer.
- Bend Radius Compliance – Patch cabling is not meant to bend at sharp angles. Using this device will help encourage a safer bend radius so your cables don’t pinch or crack.
- Improved Air Flow – Keeping the cables properly organized will help ensure the airflow within the rack is even and unobstructed. This can help protect the equipment temperature within the datacenter.
Easy Installation & Usage
Once you get this patch cable organizer, installation is a snap. It comes with all the needed hardware to mount it directly into almost any type of server rack. Once installed, cables can be easily run through and secured in place so they will be organized and protected. When it comes to keeping a data center clean, organized, and professional, few devices can provide as much benefit for as little cost as a patch cable organizer. In fact, these devices typically more than pay for themselves by reducing the number of broken or damaged cables, which can be costly in terms of diagnosing and replacing. If you’re looking for a way to keep your server racks organized, you have come to the right place.